Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Family > Disability Issues (Family)
  Related Links   
     A Place For Kids
  Child Care
  Child Support and Custody
  Disability Issues (Family)
 Are there any efforts to make young people aware and sensitive to people with disabilities?
 Are there any programs making it possible for individuals with disabilities to own their own home?
 Are there any resource materials on the Web for training, responsibilities, and roles of board members in not-for-profit agencies or organizations?
 Are there any resources for educating and informing people about the legal rights of individuals with disabilities?
 Are there out-of-home residential opportunities available for people with mental retardation and developmental disabilities?
 Can individuals receiving disability benefits or payments get Medicare or Medicaid coverage?
 Can someone work and still receive disability benefits?
 Can you provide some examples of best practices in programs, policies, or procedures in the mental hygiene system?
 How are services developed for individuals with mental retardation and developmental disabilities who live in New York State, and how are they organized?
 How are services provided for people with mental retardation or developmental disabilities?
 How can I contact the New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (OMRDD) directly?
 How can I obtain timely informed consent for major medical or dental treatment for a person with a mental disability who lives in or receives services from a facility or program licensed, operated, or funded by a state mental hygiene office?
 How do I apply for disability benefits?
 How is a disability determination made?
 How many people with mental retardation and developmental disabilities are being served in New York State?
 I am a parent of an 18 year old with developmental disabilities. Must I become his/her guardian?
 I am a parent or family member concerned about maintaining assets for the use of my child/relative with disabilities to maintain/improve the quality of his/her life. Can you help with the financial planning?
 I am concerned about the future of my child who has a developmental disability. How should I plan for his/her needs after I will no longer be available to protect or advocate for him/her?
 I am disabled as a direct result of crime victimization. Are services available to me through the New York State Office of Victim Services?
 I am disabled. Isn't my boss required to provide me a flexible work schedule as a reasonable accommodation?
 I believe a state-operated or licensed program serving people with mental disabilities is misusing funds or committing fiscal fraud. Where can I report this?
 I believe I'm being discriminated against because of my disability. Where can I go for help?
 I have a complaint about the care and treatment at a New York State-operated or licensed facility or program for people with mental disabilities. What should I do?
 I have special needs, how can the New York State Public Service Commission help me?
 If I have a disability, can I automatically receive services?
 Is there a speakers bureau where an agency or consumer/parent group could call on speakers to address legal, civil rights, life planning, investigative, and fiscal issues related to care and treatment of individuals with disabilities?
 My relative recently died. (S)he was receiving services from a mental health or mental retardation and developmental disabilities program. How can I be sure that (s)he received appropriate medical care before his/her death?
 What are developmental disabilities?
 What is New York State's Policy on Web Site Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities?
 What is the individualized service environment?
 What services are offered for people with mental retardation and developmental disabilities in New York State, and how can I find them?
 What services does New York State provide to those who are visually impaired?
 When do disability benefits start?
 Where can I apply for disability benefits?
 Where can I find a listing of programs and services for persons with developmental disabilities in New York State?
 Where can I find information on long term care to help me plan ahead should I ever become incapacitated?
 Where can I get information and forms regarding health care proxies and mental health care advance directives to plan for health and/or mental health care decision-making?
 Where can I obtain protection and advocacy legal or technical assistance regarding rights and services for people with disabilities?
 Where can parents find help for their toddler who does not seem to be developing the way he or she should ?
 Who can a person with disability or their family member go for information to help solve a problem?
  Domestic Violence
  Early Childhood
  Family History / Genealogy
  Family Planning
  Family Support Services
  Immigration / Refugee
  Temporary Assistance
  Volunteering / Community Service (FAMILY)
NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer