Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Housing > Affordable Housing
  Related Links   


Question I understand that the State offers assistance to low-income persons to help them buy their own homes. What do I have to do to get assistance?

Answer The Housing Trust Fund Corporation, which is a subsidiary of the Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR), administers the New York State HOME Program, which provides funds to local housing agencies that sponsor home buyer assistance programs. These programs help qualified low-income persons and families to purchase a home. To qualify for assistance, applicants must have good credit, or be willing to work with one of the sponsoring agencies to improve their credit rating, and must agree to buy a house in certain areas and to live in it for a specified period, usually between 10 and 20 years. There may also be other restrictions. Many of the agencies that administer home buyer assistance programs also provide other related services. For more information on which agencies offer home buyer assistance programs in your area, contact the DHCR Regional Office nearest to you.

Back More Info 
DHCR Regional Offices


NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer