Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Career / Employment > Retirement
  Related Links   


Question Can I receive credit in the Teachers' Retirement System for working at a charter school?

Answer You may receive service credit for teaching at a charter school ONLY IF the charter school which employs you is a NYSTRS participating employer. Not every charter school elects to be a NYSTRS participating employer. If you are unsure about a particular school, please check with NYSTRS by calling 800-348-7298, Ext. 6075. If a charter school later chooses to become a participating NYSTRS employer, employees of the school (as opposed to employees of the management company that runs the school) may receive credit for work performed prior to it becoming a participating NYSTRS employer, provided the System receives all applicable employer and employee contributions.

Back Contact: NYSTRS Member Benefits
Phone: 800-348-7298, Ext. 6075

NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer