Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Housing > Renting
  Related Links   


Question I believe I am being denied an apartment because of discrimination. Where do I go for help?

Answer The Federal Fair Housing Act of 1968 and State and local fair housing laws make it illegal to advertise any preference, limitations or discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status or national origin in the rental or purchase of housing.

If you have a question or complaint about housing discrimination, contact your local Human Rights office through the municipal directory of your town, city or village. If you live on Long Island, call the Long Island Housing Services at (516) 582-2727 or the Open Housing Center at (212) 231-7080 in New York City. To file a complaint, you may call Housing and Urban Development (HUD) toll-free at (800) 669-9777 or the New York City Commission on Human Rights at (212) 306-7500. Also, the New York State Division of Human Rights has regional offices and will review written complaints alleging discrimination in housing practices. A list of the addresses for their regional offices can be found on their web site. The NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal and NYS Division of Human Rights are committed to ensuring equal housing opportunities to all New York State residents.

Back Contact: Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Phone: (518) 474-6157

NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer