Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Law & Order > New York State Laws and Regulations
  Related Links   


Question What are the requirements for selling food that is processed at home?

Answer Home processed food is food processed in a private home or residence using only the ordinary kitchen facilities of that home. It also shall exclude potentially hazardous foods. Commercial equipment is not considered ordinary kitchen facilities.

Home food processors who sell their product may be exempted from the licensing requirements of Article 20-C, provided that the following conditions are met:
- All finished product containers are clean, sanitary and properly labeled;
- All home processed foods produced under this exemption are neither adulterated nor misbranded; and
- Glass containers for jams, jellies, marmalades and similar products are provided with suitable rigid metal covers

Licensing exemption is limited to non-potentially hazardous foods such as:
- Bakery products for wholesale sales; i.e. bread, rolls, cookies, brownies, fudge, double-crust fruit pies and cakes which require no refrigeration
- Jams, jellies, marmalades or similar products
- Candy (not chocolate)
- Spices or herbs
- Snack items such as popcorn, caramel corn and peanut brittle

Back Contact: NYS Department of Agriculture & Markets
Phone: 1-800-554-4501

NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer