Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Housing > Housing for the Elderly
  Related Links   


Question I need assistance in paying my rent. Who do I call?

Answer You can contact your local Department of Social Services, or if you are a senior citizen, your local Department for the Aging. They can help determine if you are eligible for direct assistance or they may be able to direct you to other resources in your area. The New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal administers a Statewide Section 8 Program. The goal of this program is to provide housing assistance in the form of vouchers to eligible low income families living in the State of New York. To find out if you are eligible or to get more information about the Section 8 Program call (212) 480-6460.

If you are a senior citizen living in a rent regulated apartment you might be eligible for the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption Program (SCRIE). The SCRIE Program exempts eligible senior citizens from future rent increases and is administered by the Division of Housing and Community Renewal for eligible senior citizens who live outside of New York City. In New York City, the SCRIE Program is administered by the New York City Department for the Aging.

Back Contact:

NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer